Thursday, June 22, 2006

Visiting my Roots

I have a little anxiety about a trip we're taking this next week. The family and I will be on our way to Greenville, SC on Saturday. Why are we going to the bastion of conservative right-wing Christian fundamentalism? That's a good question, all I can offer as an answer is family.

My grandmother is somewhere around 93 years old and has been guilt tripping me about not visiting in South Carolina for the past four years. Really I haven't been able to afford the trip down; I needed the money from work and I've never had a job that had vacation time in the last few years so the question was moot. But now I'm not in school anymore, I don't really have a full time job that missing a few days would kill me, I have some money in the bank so, if it's going to happen at all, now is the time to do it.

The problem is that everyone else from my family (except for me and my brother) have gone to Bob Jones University for college. Heck one of my uncle's teaches at the University, so needless to say, I'm a bit of an outsider there. Which means I'll be spending a week in the most awkward and painful of situations for me. I can't disagree with my grandmother because she's 93 years old, and so set in her ways that arguing anything with her is pointless. Not only that but the last time my dad and I had a theological parting of the ways, I was hit with an onslaught of letters discussing how angry I am and how I'm such a sinner and that she's praying for me...I really don't need that right now.

Anyway, so I'm visiting the territory of the country targeted by Christian Exodus for a new "Christian" government (since when is the right to bear arms a Christian doctrine?) so I can't bring my normal reading books, unless their titles are vague enough...any suggestions on readings that might get past the Bob Jones editorial board?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Honey, I'm looking at your bookshelf right now and almost all the titles are so long and wordy and vague that you could probably get away with lying about the content. Perhaps Rescuing the Bible From Fundamentalism should stay behind though.

Anonymous said...

Dallas Willard is always good, and he's a Baptist, isn't he?

And this is love: that we lay down our theological darlings for the sake of honoring family. Whether or not they do the same. :)

I pray God blesses your visit. Be safe, choose your battles wisely, and come home and take a nice, hot shower to wash off any residual fundamentalist ick.