Friday, January 13, 2006

Adventures on the Oval, Episode 1

One of the great things about going to school at Ohio State is all the crazies that seem to find their way onto the oval. . . I mean the wonderful diversity that a fine public institution allows. People wanting you to sign various petitions, Brother Jed and other various fire and brimstone preachers damning everyone to hell. Really almost anything you can think of people arguing about finds it way to the Oval.




This means that whenever the weather is even remotely nice, if you have to cross the oval, you get to play cat and mouse with the various groups (one of my favorite past times!). The various crazy experiences can make for some good stories so I'm beginning a series posted only as consistently as they happen about my adventures on the Oval. ENJOY!

The other day they had EVERYBODY out there. Some fire and brimstone guys and a couple of student groups. I scout out their positions and chart my path I realize I have only two options...

1)Walk by the fire and brimstone guys

OR

2) Walk by the recycling guys.

Easy choice right? Walk by the recycling guys. WRONG. Apparently nestled in with the recycling group was another "sex education, women's rights" group which I didn't see at all. Do I get a flyer discussing the great benefits of recycling? No! Do I get offered a free condom? YES! To top it all off I still had to pass a cleverly disguised (i.e. he didn't have a big 5ft x 10ft sign) fire and brimstone guy....who told me I have AIDS.

I'm sure nothing like that could happen to me at Wheaton. Do I really want to go there and miss being offered a free condom and told I have AIDS on the same day?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I come from Brads blog...he didn't mention you were so funny!

I don't run into the 'fire and brimstone types' just usually junkies in my city! I think I prefer the junkies.