Friday, January 13, 2006

The Best Excuse

Okay, the Greek homework I had the other night was so incredibly hard that no one in the class did it. But I had the best excuse for not having done it:

I spent the whole night transcribing from Moabite the stele from Dibon. Yes that’s right, I’m sure everyone is familiar with it. Dated to the 9th century BCE and written in the ancient Moabite language it is the first written account outside of the Bible of the country of Israel and the god YHWH. 34 lines long and I transcribed the entire thing for homework in my History of the Hebrew Language class. So by the time I got to my Greek homework my brain was fried. And I took one look at it, laughed then went to bed.

The actual conversation in class went something like this:

Student 1: Why didn’t you do the homework?
Ben: I spent the whole night transcribing a stele in ancient Phoenician
Everyone: Yeah right, etc.
Ben: No, really. See?
Teacher: …. ok, you win.

Of course later in the day I would find out that I only had to transcribe the first 5 lines. Doh! When I said I did the whole thing, I of course got kudos from my professor. Did I take the credit? Heck Yeah! Did I tell him it was because I didn’t pay attention to his instructions to only do the first five lines? Nah! Why does he need to know that?

So not only am I a geek, but I’m also an idiot because I can’t follow basic instructions. Oh well.

No comments: