Tuesday, April 18, 2006

This Swinger Rocks!

For those of you who aren't familiar with Paul Anka, the man's a crooner. He's kinda' got that Frank Sinatra feel to him, that typical Jazz male vocalist that I usually don't get into. So when Jaime handed me this album in the library I was sure I was going to hate it.

Why you ask? Because it's cover songs. You would be justified in pointing out that most Jazz is interpretating someone else's songs, esentially covers. But on this album Paul Anka covers rock tunes. Let me clarify: on this album, Paul Anka covers Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Sound Garden, and my personal favorite Smells like Teen Spirit by Nirvana.

Normally, this kinda' move sounds horrible. The guy can't sing, the band is cheesy, it just doesn't work. But this is somehow different. I admit that when I first heard the words:

Load up on guns and bring your friends
It's fun to lose and to pretend
She's over bored and self assured
Oh no, I know a dirty word

crooned on top of a swingin' big band, I couldn't help but laugh, but once you sit back and just take it in it's really amazing...and the man pulls it off! Anyway, I'm tipping my hat off to Mr. Anka for one of the most intriguing and different cover album ever. This should go up there with Johny Cash's American IV: The Man Comes Around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Am I allowed to say I told you so? Paul Anka is THE MAN! (And he's got a great voice. You love Tony Bennett why not Paul?)

Anonymous said...

hee hee...I love when lounge singers cover rock songs!