Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A Poem

In one of my Heberew classes we're looking at how Jerusalem has been viewed in Jewish Literature through out time. For the modern perspective we've been reading some beautiful poems from Yehuda Amichai. One of my favorites is entitled "Jerusalem"

Upon a roof in the Old City,
Laundry is illuminated in the afternoon light:
The white sheet of a woman who is an enemy,
The towel of a man who is an enemy
To wipe the sweat of his brow.

And in the sky of the Old City
A kite.
At the end of the string--
A child,
Whom I can't see
Because of the wall.

We have raised up many flags,
They have raised up many flags.
To make us think that they're happy.
To make them think that we're happy.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Wow, I love that.

I know that comment really says nothing, but hey, it's a reaction.

studmuffin said...

as an english major, i can say this with authority:

poetry always depresses me.