Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oh The Places You'll Go!

Being a starving student trying to support a family of four on grants, scholarships and school loans means that sometimes you just can't travel. Okay always you just can't travel. The car is in good enough shape to take you around town but that's about it. At the end of every quarter, you start wondering where all the money went and if you'll be able to pay rent on time (so far so good!). Which means that while you may want to take the family to visit India, Australia, Europe heck even Canada it just can't be done.

But my family doesn't complain about not being able to travel. No, we travel vicariously....Through travel shows. It's true I don't have a TV, but I can play DVD's on my computer and we have become hooked on this series called Globe Trekker. With the aid and expertise of professional travelers we have seen the world! Heck, now I don't need to go to India and suffer from Dehli Belly! My friend Megan did it for me! Want to be bored in the "fabulous" wine country of France? Don't bother, Justine's been there and she'll tell you all about it! Why mess with the hot sticky deserts (not to mention all that poisonous stuff) of Australia's outback when Ian and friends have experienced it for you, and you don't have to leave the comfort of your own home.

Really, it's better than actually being there! It's cheaper (you can get it for free from your local library), you don't have to worry about plane crashes, custom officials and spending way too much money for cheap touristy gifts for your friends and family! Yes, I'd say it's the way to go! The travel of the future!....Really!....Okay, I'm lying I'd much rather be there, but hey I can't yet, so this will have to do!

So here's a little intro to our favorite trekkers. They've become like members of our family all due to my inadequacy as a bread winner.


Ian Wright: With his cockney accent, willingness to do anything and love of harrasing strangers he's one entertaining chap.

Favorite Moment: Australia: When he pats the stomach (for just a little too long to be okay) of the Outback Ranger who took away his fruit contraband.

Quote:
"I wish I had a lava burn mark on my arm to boast about in the pub."



Justine Shapiro: She has raised grumbling to an art form. And sometimes the crass things that come out of her mouth are amazing. She doesn't mock someone in every episode, but when she does it's quite a treat.

Favorite Moment: Turkey: When she's about to take a drink from a bucket full of fresh sheep's milk and realizes it has poo in it. "MMMmmmMMM"

Quote: "I'VE LANDED!" (Cheerfully jumping on one of the D-Day beaches in Normandy, France.)




Megan McCormick: The consummate traveler--a real professional. Never whines, always enthusiastic--perhaps too perky at times but that's usually when the show gives her enough money to sleep somewhere without cockroaches--so who can blame her.

Favorite Moment: Beijing: When she tours a warehouse full of art and asks the artist why all his characters are always smiling. "....Because they're happy."

Quote: "I promise I won't look up your kilt."

No comments: