Thursday, September 14, 2006

Surreal Moment of the Week

Yesterday, my sole co-worker had to have been on something. He says he was just tired, but I bet it was something else. Here's why.

I was working the 9-6 shift at work (as opposed to the 8-5 shift) which meant that, because of bus schedules I got to work at 8.30...a little early. So I'm chillin' seeing if people happened to write anything since midnight the night before and his line starts ringing (we just got these new wireless phones at work that let you pick your ring tone and he chose Old McDonald). Imagine, if you will, a digitized melody of Old McDonald coming through the headset right into your ear and you would think that anyone would notice this. Not him; he's out with his head on the keyboard, drool, the whole nine yards. I wake him up and let him know that his phone is ringing, (by this time we're at the "and on his farm he had a pig" part) does he answer it? No! He picks up his mouse and looks at it like he's trying to answer his mouse instead of his phone (E-I-E-I-O).

"J, that's not your phone..."

He waves me off, (with an oink, oink here...) pushes the left mouse button, "Arts and Sciences Advising...." (phone still ringing "and an oink, oink there, here an oink...") Thinking they hung up on him, "Guess they didn't want to talk to me..." Head back down on his keyboard, he's back asleep (the ringer is now ending with a rousing "Old McDonald had a farm E-I-E-I-O!"). I kid you not when I say something along these lines (hanging up on people, not answering the phone on time, etc) happened three to four times before our boss arrived at 10 to find him still out on his keyboard.

Fast forward to later in the afternoon...he's back asleep and his phone's ringing and he's not hearing it. "J. J! Your phone's ringing man." With all sincerity he says, "Damn, that's the first time that's ever happened to me." Wanting to ring his neck and mock him at the same time, I merely turn to the windows and think, "We're all the blanket..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Huckabees reference. You know you love that movie too.

Anonymous said...

He sounds like the customers I get....is he stoned?

Unknown said...

No, more likely drunk...he was 3 hours late today smelling of alchohol. I'll really feel bad for the guy, but yesterday morning was the wierdest he's ever been.