Friday, May 12, 2006

Completely Pro-Life

Yes, I'm pro-life. I don't like to say I'm anti-abortion, because, for me, that only touches on one point of being pro-life. For me this is what being pro-life means:

  • Against abortion, except when the life of the mother is in danger.
  • Against the death penalty, period.
  • Against genocide and any activity that suports, encourages or ignores it.
  • For the civil rights of all people regardless of race, creed, color, sex or sexual orientation.
  • For caring for the poor and needy, orphaned and widowed.
  • For the humane treatment of animals.
  • For responsible protection of the environment.
This is why I generally vote Democratic. As stated before, I have a real problem with people who want to equate Christianity with the Republican party. They only hit on one of my issues, and honestly, while I hate abortion, it is really only a blip on the screen as far as the Bible is concerned. I don't know of one passage in the Bible that is directly against abortion, but I know I can show you so many passages against the oppression of the poor it will make you dizzy. I can even show more verses for the ethical treatment of your animals than I can about abortion. So yes, I'm against abortion but I'm more for life and living than anything else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more. I have made the same point re: the absolute irony I see when some smug-ass politician professes to be pro-life out of one side of their mouth while they're talking about war and the death penalty out of the other.

Happy Birthday Bro!

Anonymous said...

first: Happy birthday!

second...I agree about the pro-life, it is one of the reasons I am vegan.

Unknown said...

Thanks Faith! This is what sealed the deal and made me a vegetarian. I haven't gone all the way to vegan yet, maybe some day!

Unknown said...

Ben, you'd better not become vegan! Our happy egg eating, milk drinking children would make your life miserable. Can't we just be content with not torturing our milk producing, egg laying animal friends?

And to make things clear to everyone--we still eat meat if other people serve it at their homes. This is for the sake of relationships and for the sake of all meat loving Bengali people who would never understand.

But Ben brought up a horrible point that I hadn't thought of--leather! Faith, I assume you don't use any leather either. How do you buy shoes? This is one thing I think is strange with the Hindus I know--they all have leather coats! They would never kill a cow and they would never eat a cow, but leather isn't a problem. Huh?