Friday, May 05, 2006

I Just Gotta' Be Me

After 20+ years of trying to be everything to everyone, I'm finally learning what it means to be me. Scary, ain't it? This is coming out of a series of conversations with a friend of mine at my church who has been trying to get me to sign up for the church's softball team. I tried to be polite: "I'm not really the athletic, softball type." He didn't let it go at that, but kept pushing. The fear of conflict person in me said, "I'll think about it." That bought me some time, but not a full reprive. The next time he mentioned it, I must have given him some sense of commitment, because, when it came time to sign up for the league last week, he was utterly amazed when I said I wasn't going to do it. I don't think he heard me right, because this morning he asked me again, and again I said no, and again he was totally shocked.

You said you were going to do it!
No, I didn't, I said I would think about it.
Come on man, I was looking forward to spending our Mondays together!
Bob, I gotta be who I am and sports is NOT who I am.

Finally, he got it. You see sports in any form is really not who I am. My dad loves sports of most anykind, but especially baseball. My brother is equally a sports fanatic. Somehow this passed me by. I'm not athletic, I'm not co-ordinated, my eight year old is probably in better physical shape than I am. Come on! I nearly failed Gym class in High School! I kid you not! I got a C. . . One of the most humiliating parts of my high school career was an exam in Gym class where I had to throw a soft ball from third base to first without it touching the ground. I had three tries. Did I make it? Not even close. So am I going to sign on to the church softball team and humiliate myself every week for who knows how long? Heck no!

So, no more being who I'm not. This softball thing is just the beginning of a process for me. I've spent too many years being afraid of what people thought of me, and it's been really damaging. This is playing out in my social/church world and in my blog. Part of why I've been lacking posts is because I'm kinda' in a theological/spiritual funk, which oftenmeans a lot of questions and no answers. I'm getting comfortable with that, but often I come down with some...unorthodox answers, and I'm afraid to share them. Or I'm afraid to share what I'm questioning (and I've questioned practically every major Christian doctrine known to man) because I'm afraid of backlash and attacks.

When I get in these funks, I'm inclined to write about them but I'm also afraid that too many overly angsty/deep/theological posts might scare people away (all three of you). Or bore people, or some such thing. But I started this kinda' as an online journal where I can write about anything and get feedback on anything. So that's what I'm going to do. Unfortunately for you that means having to slog through some boring, possibly trite discussions and questions about Christianity and what not. So that's my fair warning too everyone......so there....Oh, and if you're out heretic hunting I offer the following:


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go questioning!!! Let's hear 'em.

Anonymous said...

Why is it okay to "just be you" when it comes to softball and yet I'm not allowed to "just be me" and not like scary movies? I am tired of you hassling me. You are going to have to let this be a two way street, mister, and just accept this part of my personality.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know since we didn't talk this morning due to my sleeping in THAT I was up until 4 in the morning due to my inability to sleep due to my watching of Signs and my general fear of all things creepy and scary and suspenseful. SO that's it. I tried not being me and it didn't work out. No more. I'm a wimp, I can admit that and I see no reason to try to overcome this.

By the way, I was in my freaking out mode and at around 3 a.m. I was just beginning to nod off when I heard this horrific alien scream. It was terrifying! I thought I was going crazy. My heart was beating wildly and I really thought I was losing it when I heard another less frightening screamy sound and realized it was one of those stray cats outside. It sounded like it was stuck in the dumpster or something.

Unknown said...

I just want everybody reading this to know that I did not force Jaime to watch Signs, it was of her own volition. I was watching it, locked in my room while I was studying and she came in and wanted to watch it too. I had nothing more to do with this other than bringing the video home for ME to watch.

Otherwise I'm fine with Jaime not wanting to watch those movies, and I do not force her to watch or be anything that she doesn't want. I might nag about some things that I see as being positive, but that's all.

Anonymous said...

I found 6th scence more scary than Signs...I was in fact a little disapointed with Signs. Love M. Night though!

oh ya...be yourself too!

Anonymous said...

ps...sorry for the bad spelling

Unknown said...

I'm never seeing Sixth Sense. The ending is already ruined for me and there are dead people and stuff. Scary.

I saw Unbreakable which wasn't really a scary movie per se but that part where the sociopath breaks into those people's house and kills them is STILL freaking me out.

I did like Signs--it was a really good movie. I just don't like the late night effect of Signs. I have a hard time with there's-something-behind-the-door-trying-to -get-in movies, because I have doors in my house.
I also have a hard time with there's-something-in-the-woods-trying-to -get-me movies, because there are woods outside and sometimes I'm in them.
I also have a hard time with sociopathic-killer-of-random-people movies, because I am a random person and I don't want to be killed.
And I have a hard time with ghosts, because ghosts can be anywhere and I don't like that.

So basically anything that makes a movie scary--I can't handle. I'm a big baby.

Anonymous said...

Ben, it's awful that you force your wife to watch scary movies.

(I know you were trying to pre-emptively squash that rumor, but it's a perfectly fine rumor and I intend to perpetuate it.)

Really, you shouldn't force people into terrifying situations. That's awfully cruel of you.